Most people think that video editing is only about cutting out all the stuff that doesn’t look good, mistakes, shaky shots and the footage of you filming your feet because you forgot to turn off the camera 😉
Video editing sure is all that but certainly a lot more than that. It is the most important part of your video production, the part where emotions and drama is created.
Therefore, I will give you my best video editing tips.
Video editing is actually the process of adding stuff, not taking it away. It is not only about trimming the footage; it is about adding flow, emotions, illusions and creating an entertainment factor.
It is also about communicating with your audience, not only bringing pictures across, but bringing feelings across.
When editing a conversion- or squeeze video, read my article on the AIDA formula for a proven well-converting structure.
Video editing: when art meets science
Video editing requires your both brain halves to work together. One side for the technical part, the other for the creative. When those two are working right, video editing can be a wonderful thing.
On the other hand, when the technical part isn’t working properly, it can be very frustrating. Choose your video editing software carefully and take time to get to know it. Take a course or follow some tutorials. This avoids frustrations along the line.
Also, figure out what the message is you want to bring across in your movie. Some cool effects alone won’t make a great movie. Get the essence of a story or your message down on paper before you start filming and editing.
My 10 best video editing tips:
- Always shoot with the editing in mind, take different shots, close shots, wide shots, zooms and pans, hold the camera steady, film enough footage, you can always cut out later what you don’t need.
- Work organized, if you are making a longer movie, prepare a storyboard up first. Name your clips in your video editing software. Use the same names as you use in your storyboard. If you don’t name your clips you will end up with a heap of files and you will lose a lot of time trying to find the footage that you are looking for.
- Once you have your footage loaded into your editing software, start with creating a “rough edit” put the main footage you want to use in chronological order in the time line. You are building a frame for your edit.
- Now it’s time to cut out the crap, trim the beginning and endings of each clip and cut out all the unusable shots.
- Time to start telling your story. Where can you add close ups? What shots can you add to enhance the dramatic effect? Try out different things and notice the feeling, the emotions that the pictures are bringing across
- Don’t go crazy in cutting. Unless you are making a bad MTV music video, you want your shots to last longer than 1 sec. Static shots can last between 2 and 10 seconds. If there is a lot going on in the shot or somebody is talking, it can be longer. Try to switch between shot lengths, some longer shots and then some shorter ones. Don’t go for the stroboscope effect and don’t bore your audience with endless clips. In about 5 seconds, the human brain has seen most details of a picture.
- Adding some effects can bring your audience more into your movie and will make your movie more beautiful and cool. Play around with the transitions and try to “feel” what different effects do to your movie. Here I want to warn you again, don’t go crazy with flipping and twirling stuff unless it really adds something to your movie, Here and there a soft transition and some color enhancement will do for most videos. There is no golden rule. Just watch and use what is most appropriate for you.
- Create a nice intro or title and some titles at the end. They will make sure you have a proper beginning and ending in your movie. Going to black at the end of a movie will create a dramatic effect. When a title follows that black, the audience can breathe in again. Play around with stuff like that and try to notice how different effects will bring different emotions.
- A very important part of your video editing is adding music and sound effects. The same footage can bring a completely different message across if it is accompanied with some house beats, some slow rock or some dramatic epic underscores. Test different kind of music tracks for your video and “feel” the difference. A good choice of music will give your video that “wow” effect and will radiate those emotions you want to bring across.
- Last but not least: RAM memory is a video editor’s best friend. No matter what video editing software you are using. Minimum system requirements are MINIMUM system requirements for the software to get installed on your computer. It doesn’t say your editing will go smoothly. Invest in some extra RAM memory if you plan to edit videos regularly. It will prevent your software and videos from lagging and will keep your editing up to speed.
If you are looking for an extraordinary good video editor, I would suggest to you downloading Adobe Premiere Pro CC.
These tips should get you started easily and will help you with the most essential basics of video editing.
I love to hear you feedback so feel free to leave your comments below.
Ahmedon 26 Nov 2015
Anitaon 23 Dec 2015
Robinon 29 Dec 2015
Rohit Tyagion 07 Jan 2016
Amoahon 16 Jan 2016
jones wamalaon 28 Jan 2016
@amiablestevoon 14 Mar 2016
Rebekka Deforceon 09 Feb 2017
Anupam Kumaron 27 Nov 2018
rohit aggarwalon 27 Dec 2018
School of visual effectson 11 Jan 2019
justvideoson 29 Jul 2019
kazafion 21 Aug 2019
motion graphicson 20 Sep 2019
Sparksight - A Video Production Company in Austin, Texason 09 Oct 2019
karanon 15 Oct 2019
Rohiton 15 Oct 2019
visionhookon 31 Oct 2019
visionhookon 31 Oct 2019
corporate video aucklandon 28 Nov 2019
Schlüsseldienst Berlin Johannisthalon 01 Feb 2020
Vivekon 09 Feb 2020
Chetan Mainion 18 Mar 2020
Shaylee Packeron 09 Apr 2020
Boca HickOryon 03 May 2020
Hussnainon 08 May 2020
Book Profits Softwareon 23 May 2020
musicgyanon 03 Sep 2020
Asian Wedding videographeron 19 Sep 2020
Videography Londonon 28 Dec 2020
Ms Wynn Zhouon 11 Feb 2021
Fumigation Serviceson 26 Mar 2021
Lakshya Pandeyon 01 Apr 2021
Bhawani Shankaron 17 Jun 2021
mutuelle Maafon 13 Jul 2021
Best Software Company in Bangladeshon 27 Dec 2021
diploma in engineeringon 09 Jan 2022
best isp in Dhakaon 06 Mar 2022